Verna Mumby facilitates successful workshops for tree professionals
- Introductory Tree Appraisal
- Hands-On Insect and Disease Identification
- Tree Care: Pruning / Planting / Plant Health Care (PHC)
Introductory Tree Appraisal
In two days, Introductory Tree Appraisal workshop participants
learn the basics of tree appraisal in accordance with the
current ISA edition of the Guide to Plant Appraisal.
Participant comments about previous workshops:
- The tools and formula are very helpful also pointing out the different information packages available at PNW is appreciated.
- The discussions with the other attendee’s made this course an invaluable one.
- Case studies at the end were very appreciated.
- Excellent instructors and the actual hands on field
work were really great.
- Good handouts, good practicum, the small class was
The Insect and Disease ID
In thisworkshop, participants view actual samples of most
insects and diseases and participate in fieldwork in a local
park. A hands-on quiz completes the workshop.
Participant comments about the workshop:
- Good review of insects and diseases, loved the hands
on aspect of the workshop.
- Great refresher and opportunity to apply the knowledge
at the park.
Tree Care Workshops
The workshop for the Society to prevent Dutch Elm Disease
(STOPDED) included lectures on Dutch Elm Disease (DED), tree
pruning and tree care. The workshop included both classroom
and field segments.
DED Program Coordinator for STOPDED, Janet Feddes-Calpas
remarked about the workshops:
- On behalf of the Society to Prevent Dutch Elm Disease,
I would like to thank you for providing us with your educational
services at the STOPDED workshops. All the workshops went
over very well and there were many positive comments. Your
presentation and material was excellent.
Since 2002 Verna Mumby has taught the Utility Tree Worker
certification course for Olds College Extension division.
Course material includes:
- Tree biology
- Tree pruning
- Tree identification
- Tree Insects and Diseases
- Stump Treatment
The Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology
(SIAST) contracts Verna Mumby to teach a Tree Worker licensing
course. This three day intensive course includes classroom
and field practicum.